Saturday, November 10, 2007







Its 1:30 on a cool Tuesday afternoon and for right now I’m just taking it easy for lunch.. I’m at the Broad street McDonald’s in the medical district finally getting a chance to do lunch on my own for a change. A time of solitude that I cherish since every aspect of my life is dictated by group work. I’m sitting at the table, with my ipod blarring the 116 cliques latest album, with a fresh white long sleeve thermal and my vintage jeans…you know how I do. As I’m finishing my meal I am anxiously awaiting the elderly gentlemen next to me to leave so that I can grab his news paper.

Finally he jets back off to work and I’m able to indulge into the Pervez Musharraf state of emergency article, which I have been salivating every since I sat down. As I frantically finish the first page and proceed to continue on to page A6 , my eyes catch a glance of four children at the table in front of me. With their table covered in hamburger wrappers, fries, and toys. Conversations of cartoons and toys and 12 year old jokes. That’s when I realized it was official…I had grown up. I had become that guy… the grown up at the next table... the guy that me and my friends as children would see and think, it’s the real world for you buddy.

With their newspapers, computer typing and old man music. It was clear, that time had come full circle and with an unannounced arrival. I laughed just in the fact that I could remember being that way in a McDonalds with friends… but even more so that I had had become that guy…Almost like something you might see in a McDonalds commercials targeted towards African Americans….you know like the tradition based on having your birthday party at McDonalds’s as a rite of passage. I must say that Tuesday’s are good days…even if you find your self to be that guy.

No comments: