Monday, October 15, 2007



Just a quick intro...this is it this is the new blog! Yeah, just a bit of an upgrade to a more contemporary style. Unfortunately I decided to leave the "Boston Life" blog behind. It was a good medium to display my own personal expressions but I think it was best served in its time over the summer. And that’s where we will leave it... a twelve part series of an exhilarating summer. And with that...Welcome to the Pristine Illumination Blog! This one will be focused more towards my experiences at the Adcenter, current events in the advertising industry, and anything else worth bloging! Hopefully there will be more frequent installments, although they unequivocally will be much shorter!

So what better place to start then with creativity! I recently heard a quote in class from Picasso that stated "As children we all were born artist, the problem is that we are educated out of it." My initial reaction was sarcastically discordant with the famous artist’s observations. But as I pondered the notion I can’t help but entertain the question could this possibly be true. Could the education system that is so highly esteemed among our society, be one in which it prides itself on killing creativity? Well, just a quick look at history of any school board in the country will show you that you don’t have to be clairvoyant to know what’s the first thing to be cut in times of financial trouble... undoubtedly it is the program for the Arts. The music program, the art budget, and the dance facilities... somewhere down the line they inherited the label of "that which is extraneous!"

So maybe ole' abstract Picasso was on to something! Perhaps creativity has been a dieing characteristics for over 70 years. Perhaps we have underestimated the significance of creativity and its place in our culture. I had a good friend once tell me that she loves to blast her music and dance her heart out...in high heels... and her underwear! So of course, I jumped on the opportunity to clown her on being a nerd! But looking back on it surely this has to be one of the most prolific displays of self-expression and creativity. Now, I like to think that I know my friends fairly well and this absolutely seems to be right down her alley. So I can only wonder why this aspect of her personality doesn't resonate in her choice of profession! Is it because we have suppressed creativity with mathematics and science... or is there just limited space for a creative mind in a business oriented world.

I personally think the problem is in the absolutes! Why does it have to be one or the other? Why is it that our jobs are reserved for work and our lives reserved for creativity? Is there a balance were innovation meets income? Can there be a fusion of commerce and creativity in the modern day world, or is that concept reserved specifically for those who seek it?

P.S.~ Piccaso's full name was "Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Clito Ruiz y Picasso" now how is that for creativty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so super super excited about the new blog....genuis.....It's already been added to my favorites!!!

Anonymous said...

Yea, apparently I can't spell....how about genius!!!